Social Media


How to Apply for a Disabled Driver Parking Card / Permit


In order to apply for a Disabled Driver Parking Card / Permit, you must first write a short note to the Irish Wheelchair Association’s Driving Section (IWA, Driving Section, Clane, Co Kildare) briefly outlining your illness / disability and why you require a Parking Card / Permit.  Along with this note you must enclose a stamped, self addressed 9 x 6 size envelope.


Following receipt of this note, the IWA will forward to you an official application form, which contains sections to be completed by your GP and a member of your Local Garda Service.  When complete, return this form to the IWA enclosing 2 passport photos and the fee of €25.00 in the form of a cheque or postal order, as will be indicated on the application.  (Please note that cash payments will not be accepted by the IWA).

If you experience any problems in contacting the IWA or in your application please don’t hesitate in contacting the either myself a member of staff in my Leixlip office so that we can assist wherever possible.


Irish Wheelchair Association – National Mobility Service



IWA’s motoring and transport services are co-ordinated from the National Mobility Centre in Clane, Co Kildare. This specialised centre was set up in 2000 to meet the needs of Irish motorists (drivers and passengers) with physical disabilities. The centre provides a broad range of services including:


  • Co-ordination of nationwide driving tuition and assessment services
  • Information and advice on motoring issues such as vehicle adaptations, vehicle specifications, VRT/VAT relief scheme, insurance, etc.
  • Display of adaptations
  • Issue of the Disabled Persons’ Parking Card on behalf of the Department of Transport
  • Co-ordination of IWA’s nationwide accessible transport fleet.


You can telephone or email the IWA National Mobility Centre at 045 893 094/5 or

Printer Friendly Version

Share This Post

Posted by on January 12, 2007. Filed under disAbility & Special Needs,Eldercare,Healthcare,Social Protection,Traffic & Transport. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.